Titles starting from letter "A"
Before Bad Brains, the Sex Pistols or even the Ramones, there was a band called Death. Punk before punk existed, three teenage brothers in the early '70s formed a band in their spare bedroom, began playing a few local gigs and even pressed a single in the hoped of getting signed. But this was the era of Motown and emerging disco. Record companies found Death's music - and band name - too intimidating, and the group were never given a fair shot, disbanding before they even completed one album. Equal parts electrifying rockumentary and epic family love story, A Band Called Death chronicles the incredible fairy-tale journey of what happened almost three decades later, when a dusty 1974 demo tape made it way out of the attic and found an audience several generations younger. Playing music impossible ahead of its time, Death is now being credited as the first black pun band (hell...the first punk band!), and are finally receiving their long overdue recognition as true rock pioneers.
- Actors: Russell Crowe, Ed Harris, Jennifer Connelly, Christopher Plummer, Paul Bettany, Adam Goldberg, Josh Lucas, Anthony Rapp, Jason Gray-Stanford, Judd Hirsch, Austin Pendleton, Vivien Cardone, Jillie Simon, Victor Steinbach, Tanya Clarke, Thomas F. Walsh, Jesse Doran, Kent Cassella, Patrick Blindauer, John Blaylock, Roy Thinnes, Anthony Easton, Cheryl Howard, Rance Howard, Jane Jenkins, Darius Stone, Josh Pais, Alex Toma, Valentina Cardinalli, Teagle F. Bougere
- Genre: Biography, Drama
- Director(s): Ron Howard
Biopic of the famed mathematician John Nash and his lifelong struggles with his mental health. Nash enrolled as a graduate student at Princeton in 1948 and almost immediately stood out as an odd duck. He devoted himself to finding something unique, a mathematical theorem that would be completely original. He kept to himself for the most part and while he went out for drinks with other students, he spends a lot of time with his roommate, Charles, who eventually becomes his best friend. John is soon a professor at MIT where he meets and eventually married a graduate student, Alicia. Over time however John begins to lose his grip on reality, eventually being institutionalized diagnosed with schizophrenia. As the depths of his imaginary world are revealed, Nash withdraws from society and it's not until the 1970s that he makes his first foray back into the world of academics, gradually returning to research and teaching. In 1994, John Nash was awarded the Nobel prize in Economics.
- Actors: Colm Meaney, Malcolm Sinclair, Tommy O'Neill, Paddy Rocks, Damien Hasson, Susan Davey, Gordon Mahon, Patrick Buchanan, Maggie Cronin, Tim McGarry, Stuart Graham, Ian Beattie, Deborah Wiseman, Olivia Nash, Michael O'Flaherty, Peter O'Toole, Brendan Carruthers, Seamus Feerick, Derek Halligan, James Kearney, Gerry Wade, Liam Friel, Richard Clements, Padraig Manning, Paul Caddell, Denis Halligan, Martin Condon, Robbie O'Brien, Gary Wilson, John Travers
- Genre: Drama
- Director(s): Nathan Todd
A BELFAST STORY explores life after terrorism. Set in a city which has weathered hundreds of years of hatred...
1987, Hong Kong
- Actors: Dean Shek, Lung Ti, Leslie Cheung, Yun-Fat Chow, Emily Chu, Fui-On Shing, Kenneth Tsang, Regina Kent, Sing Chau Wai, Marco Wo, Ken Boyle, Ming Yan Lung, Sammy Lee, Chindy Lau, Shan Kwan, Paul Francis, Mike Abbott, Dean Harrington, Mark King, Siu-Ming Lau, Waise Lee, Ming Leung, Man Tat Ng, Peter Wang, Charles Dumas
- Genre: Action, Crime, Drama, Thriller
- Director(s): John Woo
Restaurant owner Ken Gor, twin brother of Mark Gor, teams up with police detective Kit and his struggling ex-con brother Ho to avenge his old friend's daughter's death by a Triad gang.
- Actors: Tilda Swinton, Matthias Schoenaerts, Ralph Fiennes, Dakota Johnson, Corrado Guzzanti, Alessandro Ferrara, David Maddalena, Salvatore Gabriele, Livio Franco Blandino, Aurore Clément, Lily McMenamy, Vito Rodo, Elena Bucci, Tom Stickley, Jerry Popiel, Taketo Gohara, Salvatore Cipri, Francesca Faccilongo, Giuseppe Spata, Francesco Leone, Antonino Bonomo, Giampiero La Cerra, Giafar Abdallah, Mahammedin Mahammed Ibrahim, Francesco Lo Pinto, Youness Zrhaiba, Vito Giusepe Rodo, Rosa Rodo, Tamara Rodo, Giovanni Pineda
- Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery
- Director(s): Luca Guadagnino
In A BIGGER SPLASH, the lives of a high profile couple, a famous rock star ( ) and a filmmaker ( ), vacationing and recovering on the idyllic sun-drenched and remote Italian island of Pantelleria, are disrupted by the unexpected visit of an old friend ( ) and his daughter ( ) - creating a whirlwind of jealousy, passion and, ultimately, danger for everyone involved.
Placed on a company's board of directors as a senior executive's pawn, lovely Eve Ellis finds herself in dire peril when she fails to back her mentor's pet project. Soon the lovely redhead is kidnapped and sold to Arab sheik who plans to spirit who out of the country to be the latest addition to his harem.
- Actors: Michael Agostini, Marshall Bell, Scott C. Brown, Agnes Bruckner, John Carlson, Richard Carmen, Tony Doupe, Cary Elwes, Sheila Goold, Terisa Greenan, Stefan Hajek, Basil Harris, Amanda Hastings, Russell Hodgkinson, David S. Hogan, Joe Ivy, Peter Anthony Jacobs, Jesse Lee Keeter, Peter Kelley, Laura Kenny, Martyn G. Krouse, Dennise Renae Larson, Jack Lineweaver, Conner Marx, Chris Maslen, Jewel Mathis, Kevin McMains, Lorraine Montez, K. Brian Neel, Kat Ogden
- Genre: Comedy, Drama, Thriller
- Director(s): John Fuhrman
Brooks Caldwell, (Cary Elwes) an erudite and handsome lawyer, seems to have it all: wealth, social status and a red hot career. His success is, in reality, a product of his marriage to his beautiful, socialite wife, Amanda, (Terri Polo) a wealthy timber heiress. Unlike most, who would remain content to enjoy a life of luxury and privilege, Brooks continues to risk everything by having extramarital affairs. Brooks' philandering, in addition to humiliating Amanda, has driven her to the point of a mental breakdown. Having been pushed over the edge, Amanda orchestrates a just and elaborate plan to bring her husband down. When Brooks leaves for a weekend romp with his latest squeeze, (Agnes Bruckner) his life quickly descends into a bizarre, nightmarish, downward spiral.
- Actors: Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean Seberg, Daniel Boulanger, Jean-Pierre Melville, Henri-Jacques Huet, Van Doude, Claude Mansard, Jean-Luc Godard, Richard Balducci, Roger Hanin, Jean-Louis Richard, Liliane David, Jean Domarchi, Jean Douchet, Raymond Huntley, André S. Labarthe, François Moreuil, Liliane Robin, José Bénazéraf, Philippe de Broca, Michel Fabre, Louiguy, Michel Mourlet, Guido Orlando, Madame Paul, Raymond Ravanbaz, Jacques Serguine, Jacques Siclier, Virginie Ullmann, Emile Villion
- Genre: Crime, Drama, Romance, Thriller
- Director(s): Jean-Luc Godard
Michel Poiccard, an irresponsible sociopath and small-time thief, steals a car and impulsively murders the motorcycle policeman who pursues him. Now wanted by the authorities, he renews his relationship with Patricia Franchini, a hip American girl studying journalism at the Sorbonne, whom he had met in Nice a few weeks earlier. Before leaving Paris, he plans to collect a debt from an underworld acquaintance and expects her to accompany him on his planned getaway to Italy. Even with his face in the local papers and media, Poiccard seems oblivious to the dragnet that is slowly closing around him as he recklessly pursues his love of American movies and libidinous interest in the beautiful American.
A post-apocalyptic tale based on a novella by Harlan Ellison. A boy communicates telepathically with his dog as they scavenge for food and sex, and they stumble into an underground society where the old society is preserved. The daughter of one of the leaders of the community seduces and lures him below, where the citizens have become unable to reproduce because of being underground so long. They use him for impregnation purposes, and then plan to be rid of him.
- Actors: Kelli Williams, Patrick Muldoon, Charles Durning, Bruce Thomas, Shannon Wilcox, Martin Mull, Bridget White, David Starzyk, Jordan Del Spina, Shane Baumel, Erica Gimpel, Maeve Quinlan, John Dybdahl, Kenneth Danziger, Rodger Bumpass, Mary Margaret Robinson, Laura Kirk, Kimberlee Preish, Cindy-Lee Marsh, Kelli King, Kaleigh Sack, Cameron McCutchan, Marki Ann Meyer, Jean Pierre Bergeron, Alan Shearman, Beans Morocco, Ken Howard, Lee Ann Powers, Patty Onagan, David Rasner
- Genre: Romance, Comedy, Drama, Family
- Director(s): Kevin Connor
Holly is not looking forward to Xmas. Her brother has a wife and kids to bring to their parents' house. She hasn't had a boyfriend since Ted. Holly loved Ted but he broke her heart when he chose to break up with her when he was transferred to an out of town newspaper owned by his family's publishing empire. Oh, and work is unrewarding--today the woman Holly was helping failed to regain custody of her kids when pro bono lawyer Ryan Hughes never showed up at the hearing. Knowing she will never meet Hughes, Holly has to settle for dictating a nasty letter to him. Holly's friend Diane tries to perk her up by promising to send her a great Xmas present. So when a handsome man with a Xmas tree knocks at her door, she realizes Douglas Firwood is her present and she can take him home to her parents for the day as a boyfriend she is serious about. Holly thinks the day is going perfectly--she and Doug are hitting it off, her family likes Doug, and her family believes every fact about Doug that she dreams up on the spur of the moment. There are three truths she doesn't realize: her brother's wife foresees great professional advancement if she can get his new boss Ted married to Holly so Ted is coming over, Diane's gift to Holly was a great bottle of booze, and how unbelievably coincidental it is that the man showing up at her door carrying a Douglas fir should claim to be named Douglas Firwood.
1991, UK, Japan, USA
- Actors: Isobel Hawking, Stephen Hawking, Janet Humphrey, Mary Hawking, Basil King, Derek Powney, Norman Dix, Robert Berman, Gordon Berry, Roger Penrose, Dennis Sciama, John Wheeler, Brandon Carter, John Taylor, Kip Thorne, Don Page, Christopher Isham, Brian Whitt, Raymond Laflamme
- Genre: Documentary, Biography
- Director(s): Errol Morris
Unlike the book, this film is really an anecdotal biography of Stephen Hawking. Clips of his lectures, interviews with friends and family and a little physics are thrown together.
- Actors: Asa Butterfield, Rafe Spall, Sally Hawkins, Eddie Marsan, Jo Yang, Martin McCann, Jake Davies, Alex Lawther, Alexa Davies, Orion Lee, Edward Baker-Close, Percelle Ascott, Suraj Rattu, Jamie Ballard, Clare Burt, Adam Foster, Lee Zhuo Zhao, Shannon Beer, Tasha Connor, Lawrence Jeffries, Ciaran Wakefield, Song-Hung Chang, Bo-Han Huang, Lewis Adams, Lee Bolton, Jason Thomas Brown, Leo Chell, Colin Coombs, Paul J. Dove, James Frost
- Genre: Comedy, Drama
- Director(s): Morgan Matthews
In a world difficult to comprehend, Nathan struggles to connect with those around him - most of all his loving mother - but finds comfort in numbers. When Nathan is taken under the wing of unconventional and anarchic teacher, Mr. Humphreys, the pair forge an unusual friendship and Nathan's talents win him a place on the UK team at the International Mathematics Olympiad. From suburban England to bustling Taipei and back again, Nathan builds complex relationships as he is confronted by the irrational nature of love.
- Actors: Tom Sizemore, Corey Sevier, Grace Kosaka, Ving Rhames, Saul Rubinek, Arcadiy Golubovich, Cynthia Dale, Kristen Holden-Ried, Danya Nearon, Faye Ly, Nathan Carter, Cosette Derome, Joanna Jang, Stacey LaBerge, Carinne Leduc, Marty Moreau, Ipsita Paul, Bonnie Qian, Jillian Rees-Brown, Austin Strugnell, Edane Tobias, Lyne Tremblay, Laurel Morgan
- Genre: Drama
- Director(s): Neil Coombs
Tortured by his own mediocrity, Max decides to commit suicide and recruits his only friend Bud, a struggling filmmaker, to record his last day on earth. Bent on exacting revenge, Max tracks down and finally confronts his overbearing Boss and his ex-wife. His rage builds until his last day is turned upside down by the kindness of a young woman in a wheelchair. Just moments from his own end, Max finds hope but is it too late to fix what is broken?
- Actors: Robert De Niro, Chazz Palminteri, Lillo Brancato, Francis Capra, Taral Hicks, Kathrine Narducci, Clem Caserta, Alfred Sauchelli Jr., Frank Pietrangolare, Joe Pesci, Robert D'Andrea, Eddie Montanaro, Fred Fischer, Dave Salerno, Joe D'Onofrio, Luigi D'Angelo, Louis Vanaria, Dominick Rocchio, Patrick Borriello, Paul Perri, Thomas A. Ford, Rocco Parente, Joe Black, Louis Gioia, Mitch Kolpan, Phil Foglia, Richard DeDomenico, Max Genovino, Ralph Napolitano, Steve Kendall
- Genre: Crime, Drama
- Director(s): Robert De Niro
Gangster Sonny is the big man in the Bronx neighborhood of an Italian small boy named Calogero. A shooting witnessed by the boy (nicknamed C) is the starting point of a lasting bond between the gangster and the boy. Father (bus driver Lorenzo), however, disapproves. C grows up under the wing of both men, torn between his own natural honesty and his fascination with Sonny. C's neighborhood cronies get involved in theft, use of guns, and racial fights. When C falls for an African American girl, things don't get any easier. C's leap to manhood is marked by tragedy, but also by his recognition of the many faces of love.
- Actors: Seanna McDonald, Missy Sturges, Lily Vu, Nikki Cordell, Ali Thurlow, Ted Esquivel, Max Taylor, Nicholls Melancon, Charles Hoyes, Anna Kalkowski, Christopher Allison, Scott Chedester, Cody Kinney, Dirk Schuil, Austin Mero, Elliana Schuil, Rick Schuil, Freddy Falcon, Josh Levine, Chuck Hoyle
- Genre: Horror
- Director(s): Brad Wiebe
Five high school cheerleaders drive out to a rural mansion to spend the weekend. They hear a thirty year-old urban legend about a young boy who killed his family and used their blood in his juvenile artwork. While exploring an old farmhouse on the property they discover that the boy never left his home and has grown into a sick and twisted man.
- Actors: Chris Cuthbertson, Drew Hagen, Nico Lorenzutti, Shawn Duggan, George Green, Christopher Shyer, Renee Abbott, Nigel Bennett, Ryan Scott Greene, Ray Brimicombe, Veronica Reynolds, Sebastian Spence, Amy Kerr, Kristin Langille, Mary Colin Chisolm, Laura Kohoot, Ian Tench, Tracy Lynn Crabtree, Bill Carr, David Patrick Flemming, Amelia Curran, John Dunsworth, Pauline Kaill, Chase Duffy, Khelly Bodorik, Csaba Lucas, Kyle Smith
- Genre: Comedy
- Director(s): J. David Gonella
Peter Jordan is 33 years old and stuck in a dead end retail job at Super Duper Computers. To make matters worse, he's managed to rack up over $35,000 worth of debt. Student Loans, credit cards, Big Screen TV. His love life is equally in debt. Just when it seems he will never break out of his rut, an old high school buddy named Frehley shows up unexpectedly. Under Frehley's influence, Peter takes large cash advances on his newest credit card to go out every night. He even purchases his dream car, a classic '72 Volkswagen Bug. Frehley's easygoing take on life soon begins to affect Peter's co-workers as well. Before long Peter and his buddies Stan and Willie are having the time of their life. Not only are they meeting women, they're finally picking them up as well! When complications arise, Frehley disappears as quickly as he arrived, leaving a hockey bag full of pot in Peter's apartment...
- Actors: Dave Foley, Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Hayden Panettiere, Phyllis Diller, Richard Kind, David Hyde Pierce, Joe Ranft, Denis Leary, Jonathan Harris, Madeline Kahn, Bonnie Hunt, Michael McShane, John Ratzenberger, Brad Garrett, Roddy McDowall, Edie McClurg, Alex Rocco, David Ossman, Carlos Alazraqui, David L. Lander, Jack Angel, Bob Bergen, Kimberly J. Brown, Rodger Bumpass, Anthony Burch, Jennifer Darling, Rachel Davey, Debi Derryberry, Paul Eiding
- Genre: Family, Animation, Comedy, Adventure
- Director(s): John Lasseter
Every year, a bunch of grasshoppers come to the anthill and eat what the ants have gathered for them. The "offering", as the ants call the ritual, is a part of their fate. One day in spring, when the offering's preparation has just been finished, Flik, unliked inventor ant, accidentally drops the whole offered seeds into the river. The grasshoppers come and give the ants a second chance to collect food until fall. Flik sets off to find bugs that are willing to fight the grasshoppers (nobody expects him to succeed anyway) and, due to a double misinterpretation, returns with a circus crew, giving everybody new hope. When the misunderstanding finally gets cleared out, there is only little time left for a new plan, which has to work, or else...
Charlie plays a woman, jealous over her husband's interest in another woman. She gets in the way of a cameraman, knocks over a director and a policeman, and gets thrown into a crowd of spectators at a military parade. She attacks her husband and his new flame. The husband throws her off the pier into the harbor.
- Actors: Sam Rockwell, Peter Dinklage, Evan Rachel Wood, Vince Vaughn, Justin Long, Brendan Fraser, Sienna Miller, Busy Philipps, Keir O'Donnell, Scott Adsit, Mizuo Peck, Adam Johnson, Savannah Wise, Emilio Delgado, Priscilla Lopez, Demosthenes Chrysan, Gideon Glick, Jenn Harris, Nick Fondulis, Jee Young Han, Joel Brody, Tom Morrissey, Danielle Quisenberry
- Genre: Comedy, Romance
- Director(s): Kat Coiro
A young writer tries to impress a girl he meets online with an embellished profile, but he finds himself in a real mess when she falls for him and he has to keep up the act.
2010, France, Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium
- Actors: Dominique Blanc, Bernadette Lafont, Bruno Salomone, Jean Benguigui, Oriane Zani, Bernard Bouillon, Jacques Ramade, Jean-Pierre Yvars, Patrick Ridremont, Patrick Descamps, Yves Barbaut, Line Wible, Eric Bauza, JB Blanc, Steve Blum, Gregory Cupoli, Barbara Goodson, Marcia Gay Harden, Phillipe Hartman, Philippe Hartmann, Anjelica Huston, Matthew Modine, Mike Pollock, Kristen Rutherford, Marc Thompson, Lauren Weintraub
- Genre: Animation, Adventure, Crime, Family
- Director(s): Jean-Loup Felicioli
Dino is a cat that leads a double life. By day, he lives with Zoe, a little girl whose mother, Jeanne, is a police officer. By night, he works with Nico, a burglar with a big heart. Zoe has plunged herself into silence following her father's murder at the hands of gangster Costa. One day, Dino the cat brings Zoe a very valuable bracelet. Lucas, Jeanne's second-in-command, notices this bracelet is part of a jewelery collection that has been stolen. One night, Zoe decides to follow Dino. On the way, she overhears some gangsters and discovers that her nanny is part of the gangsters' team.